Monday, December 5, 2011

Cuban Sandwich


The best part about having leftovers stashed in the freezer is the possibility of reliving the great dinner made before and it tasting just as good or sometimes even better.  After making the pernil, we had to put a lot of it back in the fridge and freezer.  And leftover pernil always means Cuban Sandwiches. They are an easy and satisfying sandwich that, to me, tastes great for breakfast lunch or dinner.
When I make Cubans, it reminds me of my childhood, and the times we would go to this Cuban restaurant in the not-so-nice part of Houston. I would always order a Cuban and my dad would get the Ropa Vieja.  I love to remember the happy times.
Enjoy this great classic!

CUBAN SANDWICH

1 loaf French or Italian bread
1/2 - 1 pound leftover pernil
1/2 pound Swiss cheese
1/2 pound deli sliced ham
1 jar sliced pickles
yellow mustard

In a large pan, reheat pork.
On a cutting board, lay bread. Slice horizontal and open. Spread mustard on both faces of bread slices. Layer pickles, cheese, ham, and pernil. Be as generous as you'd like with each layer. Close sandwich.
Set large flat iron griddle or iron pan over medium heat. Depending on size of griddle/pan sandwich can be sliced in half or left as one. Lay sandwich on hot griddle/pan and lay foil-covered bricks or large skillet over sandwich to flatten. Once bread is crisp and cheese is melted, slice to serve.

This is the perfect sandwich to use a panini press for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Savory Biscotti

I like making soups, chilis, stews, and chowders, but I am tired of making the same ol' side of rice, corn bread, or buying frenc...