Thursday, November 10, 2011

Bacon and Chocolate Chip Waffles





The big trend is to put bacon in everything right now. Chocolate covered bacon, sauteed spinach in bacon, and now bacon and chocolate in waffles.  I had to try this recipe after seeing Rachael Ray on The  Chew.  It's not too far from the normal breakfast of waffles and bacon on the side or chocolate chip waffles/pancakes, so I decided to try it.  It was fabulous!

Bebé liked it, Honey really liked it, and I really really liked it. Try it and let me know what you think!

Although I did not have the ingredients to make the syrup Rachael made, I will include it because I like the mix of sweet and spicy.

BACON AND CHOCOLATE CHIP WAFFLES
serving: 10 waffles

8 slices bacon
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
waffle batter or favorite waffle mix

syrup:
1 1/2 cups dark amber maple syrup
1 small red chili, halved
1 cinnamon stick

Preheat oven to 375°F.  Arrange a cookie cooling rack on a baking sheet and place strips of bacon. This way bacon grease will drip into baking sheet. Bake until crisp, about 35 minutes. Let bacon cool and chop.
In a large bowl prepare the waffle batter, and add the chopped bacon and chocolate chips.
Heat waffle iron and spray with vegetable oil. Ladle batter into waffle iron and let waffles brown and get crisp.
In a sauce pan add maple syrup chili and cinnamon stick. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve on waffles.

From Rachael Ray's Bacon & Bittersweet Chocolate Waffles with Chili-Cinnamon Syrup on The Chew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Savory Biscotti

I like making soups, chilis, stews, and chowders, but I am tired of making the same ol' side of rice, corn bread, or buying frenc...