Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Waffles


Growing up, I never thought that waffles could be made at home. I knew nothing about waffle irons or waffle batter. I knew how to go to the refrigerator isle in the store and choose between plain, blueberry, or strawberry. Now, I make waffles every other weekend. I love waffles, and they are so diverse. I've made waffles with brown sugar and cinnamon, banana, walnuts, chocolate chips, and buttermilk. Oddly enough, my favorite is whole wheat; it is healthy, but I love the taste. When I make waffles everyone's happy.

WHOLE WHEAT WAFFLES
serving: 10 waffles

2 eggs
1 ¾ cups milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt

Heat waffle iron.  Beat eggs until fluffy; beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. Pour batter from cup or pitcher onto center of hot waffle iron. Bake until steaming stops, about 5 minutes. Remove waffle carefully.

"Cinnamon Rolls." Betty Crocker's Cookbook. 2nd ed. Racine: Western, 1979. 197. Print.


BLUEBERRY SYRUP

2 cups blueberries (frozen or fresh)
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick

In a sauce pot add all ingredients. Let simmer on medium to medium-high heat. Stirring occasionally, let liquid thicken and reduce to half, about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Savory Biscotti

I like making soups, chilis, stews, and chowders, but I am tired of making the same ol' side of rice, corn bread, or buying frenc...