Monday, October 17, 2011

Arroz con Leche


Today is Honey and my three year anniversary.  It's been a roller-coaster, and we could not be happier.  We've learned so much, and I can't imagine what more is to come.
Of all the foods I've made, there is one dessert that Honey continuously ask for, and because I like to see him happy, I oblige.  Arroz con Leche is his favorite dessert.
My recipe is a little different, but so creamy and full of flavor.  You can taste the spice of the cinnamon and vanilla which make it the perfect comfort food.  Even though this can be served cold or at room temperature it's best hot.  I added a little Kahlua to mine, and it adds the perfect punch to an after dinner dessert.  With or without a little spike, enjoy!

ARROZ CON LECHE
servings: 8

2 cups white long grain rice
6 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar (optional)
coffee liqueur

On medium high heat let a large pot with 4 cups of water, cinnamon stick and vanilla come to a boil.
Add rice and salt. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Add both milks. Stir rice occasionally to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom. Gradually add the remaining water. Let simmer until rice is tender for 45 minutes to an hour.
If desired, add the sugar and stir.
Add an oz of the coffee liqueur to each cup (for adults only please)

TIP #1: Adjust temperature to prevent boil-over and to prevent a skin from forming.
TIP #2: Taste before adding sugar because it may be sweet enough with the sweetened condensed milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Savory Biscotti

I like making soups, chilis, stews, and chowders, but I am tired of making the same ol' side of rice, corn bread, or buying frenc...