Monday, October 10, 2011

Cabbage 2 Ways - Curtido and Sautéed



I grew up having Curtido in the fridge, and every once in a while we had Salvadoran-style stuffed cabbage.   When I make curtido, I am reminded of the times that my sister would fill half her plate with Curtido because she liked it so much.
Curtido is a pickled cabbage, similar to sauerkraut, and it's good on everything.  It is traditionally served with Pupusas, Yucca con Chicharrón, or Salvadoran Enchiladas. I eat it over hot dogs and plain rice.
Recently, I discovered that my husband likes cabbage, but definitely not the way I would ever eat it.  Although I have no idea how to prepare what he likes, I've tried it and know I don't like it.
Because I like finding something that will satisfy all of us, I decided to buy one cabbage and prepared it 2 ways. I have to say, my Sautéed Cabbage was actually pretty good, Honey liked it so much, he did not leave me any for the next day's lunch, and let's face it, bacon makes everything taste better.
Let me know which you like best.

CURTIDO

1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
hot water
2 carrots, shredded
1 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon oregano, preferably Mexican Oregano
1 teaspoon salt
pepper

Shred cabbage and let soak in hot water for 15 minutes. Strain cabbage.
In a bowl add cabbage, carrots, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix and let sit on counter.
Best if prepared at least 6 hours before serving.

SAUTÉED CABBAGE
serving: 4

2 slices bacon cut in small strips
1/2 medium onion
1 clove garlic
1 jalapeno, de-seeded and sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon marjoram

1/2 head of cabbage sliced
salt and pepper

In a skillet on medium-high heat add the bacon and let the fat render. Add onions, garlic, and jalapeño, stir. Once onions become transparent add the sage and marjoram.
Add vegetable oil if needed, and add cabbage. Add salt and pepper as desired. Stir until cabbage has wilted, about 10-15 minutes.

TIP: To make vegetarian, leave bacon out and add vegetable oil first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Savory Biscotti

I like making soups, chilis, stews, and chowders, but I am tired of making the same ol' side of rice, corn bread, or buying frenc...