Friday, September 16, 2011

Beef with green beans and corn


This may be the simplest food I ever make, and it always reminds me of my childhood. It's my absolute favorite, but I don't make it too often (maybe once a season) so I never get tired of it. Honey likes it too because it reminds him of shepherds pie, which is one of his favorite comfort foods. I guess I could add some Worcestershire sauce and put some mashed potatoes over it to put in the oven. Great idea, for the cooler weather that's coming.
I would usually add some chopped green olives b/c they're my favorite, but we had none in the house.  The best way to serve is over white rice or pan fried potatoes with pickled jalapeños on top.


BEEF WITH GREEN BEANS AND CORN
servings: 4

1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, minced
½ cups onion, chopped
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
½ teaspoon Adobo seasoning
½ teaspoons cumin
salt and pepper
1 cup frozen green beans
1 cup frozen sweet corn

In a pan cook meat over medium high heat. Season meat with the Adobo. Once meat has browned drain grease. Put meat in a bowl.
In the same pan add the oil, garlic, onions,cumin, salt and pepper. Let onions cook until transparent. Add the can of tomato sauce and let simmer. Once tomato sauce has darkened to a nice red, add the meat back into the pan and stir.
Add the green beans and corn. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Savory Biscotti

I like making soups, chilis, stews, and chowders, but I am tired of making the same ol' side of rice, corn bread, or buying frenc...