Saturday, September 3, 2011

Cinnamon Bun



One of the first things I attempted to bake for my honey when we first married were cinnamon buns.  It really didn't go that well.  That was my first lesson in reading instructions more than once and having the proper equipment to bake a yeast bread. My bread hardly rose because my water was too hot for the yeast to bloom. I decided not to try it again many months later and it was still unsuccessful because I did not let the dough rise a second time.  Luckily, 3rd time was the charm b/c I think Honey would have told me, "You tried, and it's time to move on."
Earlier this week, Honey and I were discussing the fact that we (meaning me) hadn't made rolls since we moved here in March. Since I just bought a brand new jar of yeast and I was on a baking kick I'd go back to that Betty Crocker cookbook from 1979 and bake a batch. Considering there aren't any donut shops except for the Dunkin' Donuts across town, I was more than happy to make nice little sweet bread for the next morning. Even though it's just the three of us I'm sure they'll all be gone by Monday.



CINNAMON ROLLS
Dough:
1 packet or 2 ¼ tsp. active dry yeast
½ cup warm water (105 to 115°)
½ cup luke-warm milk
⅓ cup sugar
⅓ cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour plus 1 cup to add gradually
Cooking spray or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Filling:
2 tablespoons butter, softened
⅓ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
1 tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon vanilla

Yeast should bubble up after 10 minutes
Dissolve yeast plus 1 tsp. of sugar in warm water in large mixing bowl. Let yeast bloom about 10 min.  Add luke-warm milk, egg, and butter to yeast.  In a separate bowl mix 2 cups flour, sugar, and salt. Add dry to liquids and mix with spatula.  Attach kneading hook to mixer and knead dough on low speed while gradually adding flour until dough comes off the sides. (If you do not have a mixer, spread flour on a smooth counter and knead by hand until smooth and elastic.) About 5 minutes.

Spray large bowl with cooking spray or spread oil, place dough in bowl, turn greased side up.  Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 ½  hours.


 Punch down dough.  Roll dough into rectangle, 15x9 inches, on lightly floured surface.


Spread butter with rubber spatula or fingers. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter.  Roll up tightly long-ways. Pinch edge of dough into roll to seal.   


Press from outer roll to have an even log.  Cut into nine equal slices. Place on a greased baking pan evenly separated.  Let rise until double, about 40 minutes. 


Heat oven to 375°. Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.

For glaze mix 1 cup powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon milk and ½ teaspoon vanilla until glaze is smooth.

Tip: The best place to set dough to rise is in the oven. Place a cup or bowl of warm water, heat oven on lowest setting, and turn oven off after 5 min. Place dough in oven to rise.

Adapted from
"Cinnamon Rolls." Betty Crocker's Cookbook. 2nd ed. Racine: Western, 1979. 215. Print.

1 comment:

  1. Delish! They look great! I may have to try these sometime. I am glad to see that another person loves good old betty crocker cooking. I too have a vintage cook book! Grew up on Betty Crocker recipie cooking from mom and am continuing the tradition :)

    ReplyDelete

Savory Biscotti

I like making soups, chilis, stews, and chowders, but I am tired of making the same ol' side of rice, corn bread, or buying frenc...